Thursday, March 11, 2010

Things I Love Thursday: My People

"Things I Love Thursday" is supposed to be my own little version of Oprah's Favorite Things--except I won't give anything away and nobody really cares what I love. But, my blog, my perogative!

Anyway, the intent is supposed to be to talk about things I love to do, things I like to read, watch, buy, eat, listen to, etc. But, like "Wordless Wednesday," it just so happens that the first post has to sort of take a different feel given what's going on this week. I'm not going to go into the full story right now, though I will post it later. Short story is B is in the hospital with blood clots in his lung. So, my head and heart are in a very different place right now than usual.

With that being said, the things I love this week are "my people." First, don't give me any crap about people things. You get what I mean. I've been thinking about this for the past few hours, batting around how I would word this: "my friends," "kind-hearted people." I just couldn't quite figure it out until I actually typed out the title. Kind-hearted people was too general. Friends didn't quite encompass everybody and, more importnantly, it didn't quite describe how I feel about the people I'm referring to.

We are very lucky to have so many people in our lives who genuinely care about us. Though I've always known these people care and are true friends, you really see when something like this happens what people are really about. Who will offer to do/help with ANYTHING while you are trying to worry about your husband getting into a real hospital room and getting his medication knowing that you are probably not doing thing for yourself like eating? Who will offer to take care of your beloved doggies? Who will just call to check on you and ask for updates or simply send good thoughts and prayers?

I am literally going to list those people. Mom, Mom, Scott, Julie, Cris, John, Terri, Ritchie, Jamey, Kelly, Marcos, Bernie, Jerry, Dina, Judy, Nora, Ginger, Cobi, Alex, Kyle, Angela, Angela, Melissa, Carol, Melanie, Darren.

I have no doubt there are others, but these people have let me have meltdowns, called or texted for updates, emailed a sister who had been though the same thing to give me some information and insight, came to visit, bought funny gifts, brought me food and took care of my doggies and stayed late to walk me to my car, emailed to tell me they were praying for me, offered prayers through a social networking website to someone they haven't seen since high school and her husband they've never met, offered their heartfelt prayers and good thoughts, took care of loose ends at work, took on full responsiblity of planning an event.

All of these things seem so little, but when you are dealing with so much, these things are huge. These things make the people who are "just friends" so much more. They are extended family. They are "my people." They are the people I can count on, the people I can call.

So, they are what I love today. I highly recommend everybody get their own people!

A

2 comments:

Cris said...

Happy to be one of "your people." Here for whatever you need!

Unknown said...

Wow - that post totally made me tear up (yes, hormones probably played a role in that). Very glad to be one of your "people" and I'll echo Cris - here for whatever you need. Oh, and love the new look on the blog!