Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Weekend Fun: Phive-K Run for ALS

I took a quick little trip to Baylor last Saturday.
Why?

To participate in the Phi Delta Theta (Baylor Chapter) Phive-K (get it?) Run for ALS. Why would I do that?







Because my baby brother, Kyle--a freshman at Baylor, asked me to.
Here is Kyle trying to look like the cool frat boy he thinks he is--ha!







Well, really, my mom asked me to because Brad, my stepdad, was supposed to be in Russia (that's just a whole other story) and she didn't want to walk alone, but then his flight was cancelled due to the volcanic ash from the volcano in Iceland (no news link--watch the news, people). But, since I'd already said I'd go and I had been wanting to get down to Baylor, I went.

The only shot of me (a "lovely" self-portrait B said I should put on here) from the day.
Speaking of B. He had to stay home. Poor guy just still isn't quite up to even walking a 5K after the blood clot in the lung. His lung capacity is slightly diminished right now, but hopefully that'll get better soon!


So, Mom, Brad, Alex (really baby brother), Alex's friend Gabe, and I took off Saturday morning in the very gloomy, rainy weather to go walk a 5K.

Mom and Kyle. Mom needed to take a picture in her UNT Health Science Center T-shirt for work. I guess they do that when they go places.


Kyle and his girlfriend, Kirstin, before we got started. Hmm . . . does this boy ever smile?


Oh, hey, there's the smile. Dad got it out of him!


Alex and Gabe, high school seniors, walking around like they are right at home the college campus.


Sorry, but isn't Alex just the cutest?


After a few words from the organizer, Anthony, we were off.

Now, Kyle and most of his fraternity brothers took off on in a mad dash, leaving the rest of us--mostly family and a few friends of the brothers--to make our way along the course.


The course followed Bear Trail, the walking/running trail around the Baylor campus. The trail appeared to be 2 miles. We followed it around once, went another quarter mile or so around the trail, then cut across campus back to the start to complete the 5K.

Because I have not quite been keeping up with my workouts, I was not prepared to run this 5K, so I walked it. Now, I'm a powerwalker. A seriously, freakishly fast walker at times. And I figured if I was going to go all that way and walk 3+ miles, I was going to make it worth my while. Unfortunately, the rest of my group did not feel the same.


Look at those stragglers!


These two strapping young boys were not much better, goofing around on the trail.

So, I led the group even though I had no idea where the heck I was going. See, the trail is only marked at the start, the 1 1/4 mile , 1 3/4 mile, and the 1/4 mile (I think). And we did not start at the start. And since the guys putting this thing on took off in a run, most of us walkers had no clue where we were going, so we just kept walking.


Well, Alex did run for a minute. Yeah, cause that looks real!

See those lovely ladies up ahead of me on the trail? They were the only two anywhere near us the entire walk. Every time they got to a possible cutoff on the trail they looked back at me to see if we were going the right way. None of us had a clue.

Funny story about these women. Toward the end, we had no clue where we were going, so we called Kyle (who had finished) to ask where we needed to cut across. Once we found out, I ran ahead to tell these two so they stayed on the right path. Once I caught up with them and relayed the message, the one on the left introduced herself to me and the mom of one of Kyle's fraternity brothers.

And asked if my son was in the fraternity.

I so could have been offended here, but she quickly said I didn't look old enough. Couldn't really blame here. I am 13 years older than Kyle and I clearly didn't look young enough to actually be a student, so if I looked a couple of years older than my age then I could have been a young mom to a college freshman.

But still.

Anyway, really good time. The weather cooperated, thankfully. We had been having quite a rainy day up here if Fort Worth and even down in Waco, but the storms stopped just in time and we had lovely walking weather.

Can't wait to go back and visit Kyle again and see more of the campus!


Happy Tuesday!




No comments: