Sunday, April 11, 2010

A Week (and more) in Review

I've been a bad blogger. Just lots going on and then I hurt my back and sitting in a chair (or even upright in bed) to use the computer was just not happeing for me. But, lots of stuff did happen (not exciting to most, I'm sure; but exciting in my little world), so I wanted to share in pictures and, hopefully, few words.

On April 1st, we had a new back door (frame and all) and a storm door installed. Can I just tell you how much I LOVE my storm door. It has a window that can be pulled down to have it open with a screen, which is awesome for getting some air in the house.

My little sunbaby, Dash, loves the new door too:








Let's see, last Sunday--Easter Sunday--was Brad's birthday.

Oops, I don't think I was supposed to take a picture with his glasses on--hehe! This was actually him telling me not to take a picture with his glasses.


We had his birthday dinner with family the night before at my Uncle Jimmy's house.

Yummy spaghetti with ribs (my favorite--I should make and blog that one these days) and I made Brad's favorite cake--Boston Cream Pie, which also happens to be my favorite dessert.

Let's see, no pictures or much else from Sunday.

Monday, April 5 was Opening Day at the Ballpark. My company/department has been going to Opening Day to see the Rangers since long before I ever started. Two years ago, the Rangers asked if we would like to be a part of the Opening Day ceremonies by helping unfurl the giant American flag on the field during the National Anthem. We, of course, jumped at the chance and while it was a bit hot and humid and a lot of fast, hard work followed by a lot of standing around, it was a LOT of fun. We got to see a bunch of old players while we waited in the tunnel to go on the field. We stood on the field for the entire ceremony, so we got to see the opening lineup up close and personal, got to see pitching legend Nolan Ryan throw out the opening pitch. It was just an awesome time. We were asked again this year and had a much less awesome time.


This happened to the flag (which is made of a parachute-type material) during rehearsal, which led to us unfurling an 11-striped American flag on the field:

Yep, that would be a very large rip.

Along with some smaller rips.

We attributed this to some not so good direction this time around in the whole flag unfurling thing. The people running it did not seem to be as good as last time, so we were really unprepared when we got to the field.

But, it all turned out okay (except for the two missing stripes) and we did have time for pictures on the field since we smartly decided to be on the end and, therefore, did not have to stand there holding the flag before it got unfurled:

I think this on the left was supposed to be an attempt at a picture of Rusty Greer. He's a coach now, but back when he played, he was by brother Kyle's favorite player, so I had get a picture.


However, the un-fun continued when we got to our seats. We first went to the pro shop so B could look around. By the time we got to our seats, others had occupied them (too long of a story for here), so we found other seats.

Here was our view:
Outfield: 









Home Plate:









TV in case we couldn't see all of the field:







We left early. Went to visit Scotty P's dad in the hospital. Lots of thoughts and prayers for him right now.



When we got home, I thought I would continue my sewing endeavor by finishing up mending some of B's pants. Um, that didn't go as planned as the brand new sewing machine decided it didn't want to work anymore. Pretty sure this one had been opened and returned to the store. So, I did that as well.

New sewing machine:


A "few" more bucks, but lots more bells and whistles and I think it will last better in the long run.






Tuesday morning while brushing my teeth before my shower, my back went out. This is not something new to me. It happens every few years. That laid me up for the day and I was still in lots of pain for the next few days. But, we learned that B follow directions very well as he cooked me dinner Tuesday night from a recipe that he had never seen before. I was very proud! (And the recipe will be blogged later!)

Thursday, we had the carpets professionally cleaned. We bought our own machine a couple of years ago, but our carpet, 4-years-old like the house, was looking pretty bad what with having the two little munchkins and all. Dalworth came out and did a fantabulous job, so we think we'll get some more years out of this carpet.

Yesterday, we trekked out to Kelly & Bernie's house in Frisco for a surprise party for our friend Jerry. The party will get it's own post since I took lots of pics of the evening.

So, that's where I've been for a week. I'll be better at blogging this week--I hope!!

Happy Sunday!

A

No comments: