Friday, April 16, 2010

Shopping Alone

What do you do when you are shopping alone and can't decide which size of something looks better on you? Step out and look at the three-way mirror? Nah. Ask another woman in the dressing room who is sure to understand your problem? Of course not. Whip out the cell phone and take pictures of yourself in the mirror to compare the two? Hey, that's a great idea!

Yep, that's how big of a dork I am.

I went to Target after work today to find some pants to wear tomorrow. My little brother's fraternity (at Baylor) is sponsoring a 5K walk/run and I'm going with my mom and stepdad to walk it. I do work out, but have slacked a little in that area of late and put on a bit of weight (can't believe I just admitted that, but it's not like you can't tell by looking at me), so some of my nicer workout attire is a bit on the snug side. Also, I work out at home, so my workout clothes don't exactly need to be presentable since only B and the pups see me in them.

So, I needed some presentable pants (read: pants without holes in them) to wear to this event. Target is a pretty great place to find affordable, but GOOD, workout clothes. So, off to Target I went. Love me some Target. Probably a good thing we don't live across the street from it any more!

Anyway, pants. Found some pants that said they were looser fitting, picked them up in two sizes--no, I will not be saying WHICH two sizes--to try. Then I noticed some capris that looked really cute, comfy, and exactly what I was looking for. Problem: they were tagged as fitted. I'm, shall we, um, say on the curvy side? Okay, I have a big butt (there is a reason "Baby Got Back" is B's ringtone for me) and larger hips and thighs. All of this basically means that fitted does not really work well for my body type. I have accepted this, but there capris were really what I was looking for. So, I went ahead and grabbed two sizes of those too and off to the fitting room I went.

Decided to try the capris on first, in the smaller size. To my surprise, the fit rather nicely. I'm not going to say I looked great or thin or anything, but I didn't think I looked like a big, fat cow either. I thought I'd go ahead and try on the larger side just to make sure those didn't look a little better. Well, they actually made me look bigger because they were a bit baggy--until I turned around to look at my rear. Whoops, knew I forgot something. Cardinal rule of trying on clothes:  look at yourself from all angles. I hadn't looked at my butt in the smaller pair. So, I quickly switched pants again and thought my butt looked too big in the smaller ones. Went back to the big ones. Couldn't tell if I could see a difference, but I didn't like how the bigger ones looked everywhere else. I told myself to remember what I looked like in those and then tried the smaller ones back on. Couldn't remember. Great. I just knew I was going to be there for 30 more minutes and still end up with the wrong ones. This is why I need a shopping partner. Then, it hit me. Camera phone!

I whipped that bad boy out and took picture from the side and back (that was fun, I'll tell you) in both pants and took a look. Decision made. Smaller pair it was! Butt may look a little bigger, but overall, I looked better in the smaller ones.

Now I never need a shopping partner again. B will be so happy!

Happy Friday!
A

2 comments:

Cris said...

I've been known to ask other women about things like that. Yes, really. Me who doesn't like to talk to strangers on the phone will ask a stranger in the dressing room if something looks good. Seriously.

Unknown said...

I've asked other women in the dressing room, too. I've tried the camera phone thing and am just not talented enough to make it work. If you'll give lessons, Bryan will love you forever because then I, too, will no longer need a shopping partner!